The Frasers return once again in Outlander season 7. Here you get all the information about the release date, plot, template and cast of the new (time travel) adventures of Jamie and Claire.
After eight episodes, season 6 of Outlander is already over. Unfortunately, there will not be an episode 9. Now fans of the romantic time travel series have to practice patience again before the next chapter of the Fraser family is opened in the 7th season.
We have summarized here when we can expect new Outlander episodes and how it continues for Claire, Jamie and Co. in season 7. To bridge the long break between the seasons, you can also test your knowledge of the Frasers in our Outlander quiz.
Outlander Season 7 Release Date: Where and when is the 7th season coming?
Outlander is returning for a 7th season. This was already ordered in March 2021 by the channel Starz. Due to the pandemic, season 6 had to be shortened and consisted of only eight episodes instead of the planned 12. The good news: Season 7 will consist of 16 episodes instead.
Fortunately, this time the Droughtlander will not be quite so long. Filming for the new season has been in full swing since April 2022. We can expect new episodes of Outlander in spring 2023. It is unknown whether the 16 episodes will be broadcast in two blocks. However, that would allow an even earlier start.
With the 6th season, a few things have changed for Outlander fans. The series was no longer broadcast first on pay TV and later on VOX but appeared only as a purchase VoD on Amazon and Co. – but also close to the US broadcast. Whether Outlander will repeat this release plan for season 7 is unknown.
What book in the Outlander series is season 7 based on?
The TV series Outlander is based on the successful series of novels by American author Diana Gabaldon. The book series is known as Highland Saga and so far comprises nine volumes. Since season 5, however, the series no longer adapts one novel per season.
For example, the events of the sixth Outlander volume, A Breath of Snow and Ashes, will soon span three seasons. In addition to the remaining chapters from that book, much of Season 7 will be based on the events of the 7th novel, Echo of Hope (An Echo in the Bone).
Storyline: What is Outlander season 7 about?
Season 6 leaves some cliffhangers and unanswered questions due to the shortening. What will happen to Claire now? Who really killed Malva? And what’s the deal with the gem thief, anyway? Outlander season 7 owes us some answers that book readers would have expected in the previous season.
Here we have summarized the remaining essential plot points from A Breath of Snow and Ashes that season 6 has not yet implemented:
- Roger and Brianna travel to the future: The MacKenzies’ time travel in season 5 failed. But Brianna’s pregnancy is already setting up the next one. In the novel, Brianna’s second child is born with a rare heart defect that can only be treated in the 20th century.
- Claire’s murder trial: Claire is put on trial for Malva’s murder. In Season 7, we await the trial’s outcome and the insane resolution of who is actually responsible for the death of Claire’s assistant.
- Claire and Jamie’s death prophecy: For several seasons, an obituary talking about a devastating fire has announced the possible imminent death of the Frasers. In season 7, this mystery should finally be solved.
As soon as the still open storylines are brought together, season 7 can finally devote itself to the events of book 7. Whether Outlander will completely adapt this volume in the new episodes is hard to say. But the most critical events from book 7 already give a small preview of what we can expect:
- The historic Battle of Saratoga in 1777 plays an important role.
- Roger and Brianna travel “back” to 20th-century Scotland.
- There they meet a lost time traveler from the past.
- A search for missing gold unfolds across two-time levels and brings plenty of trouble for the Fraser clan.
- Jamie, Claire and Ian travel back to Scotland for a while.
- Claire travels back to the USA without Jamie and meets Lord John Grey.
Outlander Season 7 Cast: Who is part of the cast?
Season 7 will see the return of the main Outlander characters of the Fraser clan. The following returners: inside have already been confirmed for the cast of season 7:
- Claire (Caitriona Balfe) and Jamie Fraser (Sam Heughan).
- Brianna (Sophie Skelton) and Roger (Richard Rankin) MacKenzie
- Ian Fraser Murray (John Bell)
- Lord John Grey (David Berry)
With the story surrounding the Christie family still ongoing, fans can look forward to a reunion with Tom Christie (Mark Lewis Jones) and his son Allan (Alexander Vlahos). New to Season 7 is Charles Vandervaart. He plays the more adult version of Jamie’s biological son William Ransom aka Willie.
Season 7 also features two new characters that fans of the novel should be familiar with. Namely, they are siblings Rachel Hunter (Izzy Meikle-Small) and Dr. Denzell Hunter (Joey Phillips), whom Young Ian and Willie will meet.
Podcast for Outlander fans: We look back at the first 5 seasons.
Outlander impresses as a high-quality produced series in a historical setting. Based on the books of Diana Gabaldon, the series has also changed quite a bit after several seasons and reinvented itself again and again. The subject of our streaming rummage is why that didn’t go well with everyone.
Esther and Max go on a journey through time to Scotland and America to track down the fate of Claire and Jamie and to encourage them to stay tuned even during the dry spells of “Droughtlander”.
Which season of Outlander did you like the most so far?